Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Debate Team Trip: Night Five (Monday)

Ok let me be the first to tell you...don't make plans to go to the different sites of Birmingham on a Monday.

Ms. Edwards and I had these grand plans for the day...we were going to check out airplane museum and some historical houses...they were all closed.

Ms. Edwards and I left early to drop the students off at the speech location. The school was absolutely huge....They had a greenhouse that was the size of the top floor of the high school....They had a football stadium that would have rivaled any college stadium. It makes sense why the tournament was held down here...they had the room. I don't think that Maine will ever be able to hold a national tournament...we just don't have the number of schools needed in close proximity to each other....I think the closest location would have to be Boston.

After dropping the students off at the tournament, Ms. Edwards and Mr. Conant tried to go and see a steam factory......surprise...the location was not open on Mondays. They decided to grab a bite to eat........Mr. Conant dropped Ms. Edwards back off at the hotel and joined the kids at the tournament....Ms. Edwards and I got caught up on my blog writing...downloaded some pictures..and worked on finishing up some school details.... Ms. Edwards had to sit outside of the motel because she wasn't able to get Internet connection in our room....Below are some pictures of new friends that I made while she helped me type.

I shall name him Fred.


This one looks like a Bernie

The students returned back to the hotel around 6:30 and the group got ready for dinner.

We ate at a Sonic....an interesting concept I might saw.....we ordered our food from our own little car bays and sat in our cars and ate our food.....Everyone had something that involved ice cream it appeared.

After Sonic we decided to have a little fun at the bowling alley. Ms. Edwards acted as camera man ooops woman and took pictures of the students while they tried to successfully bowl while using the larger balls.....Below are some pictures of me from the bowling alley....If you want to see pictures of the kids you will have to ask Ms. Edwards when she gets home.

After bowling we headed back to the hotel....the kids seemed to have a blast at the tournament and learned a lot of new skills from the different rounds of speech and debate they watched....

I learned some interesting things at the hotel....
1. Don't try to sight see in Birmingham AL on Mondays
2. Montgomery AL is the capital
3. Birmingham is the largest city.
4. Someone from Birmingham is called a Alabamian or Alabaman
5. Alabama was admitted to the United States on December 14, 1819 (22nd state added)
6. Alabama is located in the central standard time zone...(would have been nice to have known this one sooner)
7. Unofficial nickname is Yellowhammer State
8. Also known as the "Heart of Dixie"
9. State tree is the Longleaf Pine
10. State flower is the Camellia
11. Montgomery AL was the first home of the Confederacy Capital.
12. IT IS VERY HOT DOWN HERE.

Ok here are some pictures from the bowling alley....Meet my new friends


Here is a picture of Chelsea Bear, Abby Bear and myself....I of course am in the middle


Here I am all ready to bowl

Another picture of Abby Bear, Chelsea Bear and myself....(I prefer the picture up top)



Final Score of the Bowling match between the kids....good thing I wasn't bowling....I would have really shown them how to kick a field goal....oh I mean knock the pins down.... :)

No comments: