Saturday, July 26, 2008

Manassas - Manassas Museum System



Ms. Edwards and I had some spare time so decided to check out the Manassas Museum. It was a very small museum that looked at the social side of the Civil War. Inside the museum was displays about the home front, slavery, the clothing worn by soldiers, slaves, southerners, and northerners.
Below are some of the pictures that I took of the displays in the museum. The exhibit that interested us the most was a display about insects. Ms. Edwards is not a big fan of bugs or things that slither across the ground. This display demonstrated the different types of bugs that soldiers in both the north and the south had to deal with.
The bugs listed in the exhibit were:
Bugs that Itch: Lice, Louse, Fleas
Bugs That Bite: Maggots, Black flies, Yellow Jackets, Mosquitos
Bugs That Get Into Your Food: Indian Meat Moth, Granny Weevil, Bugs in your Hard Tack
I can honestly say that I don't spend a lot of time thinking about bugs. Ms. Edwards likes to wear bug spray when going out at night and won't let me play in the grass too much because of tics. I can't imagine having to not only deal with hot weather during the summer, cold weather during the winter but bugs as well. They didn't have the opportunty to wash their clothes or to change their clothes like we do today. I have multiple outfits to wear and I am only a bear. Can you imagine marching days on end and wearing the same article of clothing. Think of the bugs you would be attracting.
It is good to be a bear
ooo
(__)

No comments: