Sunday, July 27, 2008

Winchester - Abram's Delight Museum

Our next stop was at the oldest house in Winchester.
  • Abrahm's Delight was built in 1754
  • Abraham Hollingsworth was a Quaker and an early settler of the town.
  • Son - Isaac Hollingsworth build the stone house.
  • House became a center of industry and hospitality.
  • West wing added around 1800
  • House served as the town's first Quaker meeting house.



Right next to the stone house was a log cabin.




The above information came from the following site as well as my tour guide.

http://www.fortedwards.org/cwffa/abrams.htm



One item in the house that caught my attention was a bench that was located near the entrance to the house. It looked similiar to a bench that I have in my entryway. This bench though was long enough and wide enough for someone to lay on. The name of this bench is beyond me at this point in the day. The purpose of the bench was to lay the dead body of a family member on for public viewing. I found this interested because this is the first time I have seen one or had someone mention this type of furniture.


No comments: