Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Preparing for our trip to Virginia

Ms. Edwards and I are two days away from heading to Virginia. I am so excited about this opportunity that we have received. I did a little research about the organization we received our grant from. I wanted to share it all with you.

Fund for Teachers was started by Raymond Plank. He was from Minneapolis MN. (A great city to visit according to Ms E. She has family that lives close to the city that she likes to go and visit every other year. She promises that I can go with her next year). Raymond Plank's pilot program with the aid of others became known as the foundation Fund for Teachers.

The purpose of the foundation is to "enrich the personal and professional growth of teachers by recognizing and supporting them as they identify and pursue opportunities around the globe that will have the greatest impact on their practice, the academic lives of their students and on their school communities." (http://www.fundforteachers.org)

The foundation awards grants to teachers to support their professional learning. Teachers from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade can apply for the grants. More than 2,500 teachers from 47 states have received grants to travel and continue learning.

The Rural Schools and Community Trust (a national nonprofit organization that helps build relationships between schools and communities) is connected to this grant as well.

"The Rural Trust involve young people in learning linked to their communities, improves the quality of teaching and school leadership, and advocates in a variety of ways for appropriate state educational policies, including the key issue of equitable and adequate funding for rural schools." (http://www.ruraledu.org)

Ms. Edwards and 11 other teachers from Louisiana, Maine, North Carolina, and Vermont received this grant. They will all have the opportunity to meet and discuss their fellowships in North Carolina in September. I have never been to NC. I hope that Ms. Edwards lets me go with her.

Well I just wanted to share about organizations that are helping Ms. Edwards explore Virginia this summer. We still haven't packed for the trip yet. Will have to start and complete it tonight. I hope that she lets me bring a few of my new outfits. I hear there are a few Build-a-Bears in Virginia. I am hoping to get a new shirt while I am there.

I am also looking forward to visiting all the historical sites in Virgina and Gettysburg. Ms. Edwards and I plan to blog daily. (if the hotel has internet access). I am also going to create a scrapbook using snapfish.com. This time I am going to put captions.

Well time to get packing :)

000
( )

No comments: